Sunday, September 6, 2009

Tribute to Oak Creek Gallery

JOSHUA SNOW

Your monthly Art Gallery Guide from Sedona’s favorite feline - Joshua Snow.

Greetings Friends!

Even the sizzling summer sun did not limit my art viewing on July 31st. My first stop was the opening of the new gallery in Hillside Village.

I received an invitation from Gallery Director, Clay Meyers, to attend this very grand opening at Oak Creek Gallery located just below Shugrue’s Restaurant. Shugrue’s catered the event. It smelled wonderful, but I happen to be watching my figure and was a little intimidated by those spicy buffalo wings. (Do buffalos really have wings?)

Oak Creek Gallery is Sedona’s cosmopolitan gallery and showcases artists from around the world. In addition to large one-of-a-kind oil paintings, they have jewelry, ceramics and sculpture. They also include local artists, many of whom are already my favorite friends.

On this particular evening, I reviewed the art of Adalberto Santini, Ateminos and Jang Ho Suh “AB.”

Adalberto Santini was born in Italy, but now resides in the US. He paints luscious Italian landscapes that look a little like my own home in Sedona. Thanks, Adalberto.

Ateminos also paints with an European flavor. Wine, fruit and cheese. Forget the wine and fruit, I love cheese. Cheese please!

I did love the old world appearance of his paintings and I could almost smell that cheese. Hey! How come you didn’t have any cheese, Clay?

Jang Ho Suh was born in Korea. Where the hell is Korea? His landscapes are more abstract that Santini’s, but the colors and textures are definitely captivating. Especially for a feline who never gets to go out. Oh! That’s right! I get to go out every week. Sorry!

So while the crowd milled about talking about mundane events, I monitored the door to make sure all guests were aware of my presence. Of course, I wore my name tag just so they would know who I was.

I marveled at those sculptures in the window and wondered why I didn’t have them at my level. Oh, well. Some galleries are just not used to having a cat visit!

When my visit was over, we drove to Clarkdale for another gallery opening. I especially enjoyed the drive back. The stars were twinkling in the sky and only I could see the myriad of animals lurking through the brush along 89A. Oh what fun!

Tomorrow I’m off to First Saturday in Jerome.

Then on August 7th I will see you all on First Friday in Sedona. Until then, I hope a cat does not get your tongue.

Your furry friend -

Joshua Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment