Sunday, September 6, 2009

First Friday in Sedona - August 2009

JOSHUA SNOW

Your monthly Art Gallery Guide from Sedona’s favorite feline - Joshua Snow.

Hot August nights are upon us! But this has not stopped your favorite furry feline from enjoying the artistic endeavors of Sedona’s own creators. I’m here!

It was a busy evening on August 6th as I started my artistic tour at James Ratliff Gallery on Highway 179. First of all, I was greeted in a fashion worthy of my status. Then I was served an absolutely luscious shrimp, cut into bite sized pieces. This gallery definitely knows how to treat the paparazzi!

I reviewed the work of two artists. The first was Joseph Bellacera. His credentials were quite impressive, with several degrees in art. There were also numerous awards and grants. Wow! I was stunned.

The artwork, of course, was delightful. I loved the tempestuous skies with a hint of clouds or horizon.

I was delighted that some of the pieces that were at eye level (cat’s eye) for ease of viewing. Makes it a lot simpler for us little guys.

So I give Joseph Bellacera 4 paws. Good work!

The next artist on my list was Stephen Hedgepeth. A kindly man with a white beard (Santa!). No, unfortunately, he was not there. His landscapes were dreamy. Bold colors, with stands of trees lining the horizon. Very nice.

Stephen grew up in Utah and his paintings are reminiscent of the farms and fields of that area. (Hey, I’ve been told!). He has shown his works in Utah, Taos, Salt Lake City and Wyoming, to name a few. Another 4 paws exhibition.

After sniffing a few trousers and meeting James Ratliff himself, I did the obligatory photo op with my new friend, Suzanne Copeland. Thanks for the shrimp, Suzanne, but did you have to show that it’s all going to my belly!!!

Suzanne, I have a question. Where is the rest of those horses!

With my visit over, I headed off to see my friends at Mountain Trails Gallery at Tlaquepaque. (See, I can actually spell it.) There I rubbed ankles with my good friend and sculptor, Ken Rowe. You can be sure you will see me in a bronze soon. (I’ve really been working on him!)

With the sound of the creek splashing under the soon-to-be bridge and the cicadas chirping in the trees, we made our way out of Tlaquepaque and hurried over to Sedona Arts Center to visit with a few of our very dear friends. I meandered through the Barn where I saw my good friend Rosemary Corneto. I sampled a few bites of cheese and then, with my leash dragging behind me, sprinted up the stairs to give kitty kisses to Susan Kliewer, Jeff Dolan and others.

All in all, it was another busy First Friday. Full of palatable treats and artwork, too.

Another successful evening.

This is your good friend signing off until next First Friday on September 4th. You never know where you will find me or who I will offer my critiques to, but be sure to keep your eyes to the ground.

Don’t forget that September 7th is Labor Day.

JOSHUA SNOW

No comments:

Post a Comment