Sunday, September 6, 2009

March 2009 First Friday

JOSHUA SNOW

Your monthly Art Gallery Guide from Sedona’s favorite feline - Joshua Snow.

GREETINGS MY FURLESS FRIENDS:

Spring is coming! The flowers are blooming, birds (yum!) are nesting, and tourists are flocking to our sunny little resort. Oh, well! I’m ready!

First, let me say thank you to all the judges who voted my photograph first place. Boy were we surprised! Well, at least my humans were. I knew I was number one.

But let’s be real. Do you have to make such a fuss over me? Actually, I enjoyed all the attention. All that clapping, though, did give me a start.

One of the highlights of my evening was meeting two very special young ladies. Sarah and Megan Cramer knew exactly what to say to make me feel good and knew just what spot to rub.

My good friend Bill Louf, was also there. He is the one who printed out my photo, so I guess I owe him a big purr.

After all the presentations upstairs and that loud clapping, we slipped away with Vince Defazio and his camera so he could take one more picture of me.

I’m not frowning because I don’t love you Shirley. It’s just by that time, I think I had had enough. Where are the lizards to chase?


Before the night was over, I socialized with a few more new friends. Taking in all the wonderful artwork.

Then it was time to run back upstairs and say goodbye to my favorite ladies of the evening, Sarah and Megan. But, please stop taking my picture.

I was so motivated by the artful experience, that I decided to write free verse poetry, which I have never attempted before.

Trolley Ride


It is a sultry summer evening

The cicadas sing their soulful symphony

As I wait outside the Sedona Arts Center

For my first trolley ride


People stare, comments are made

The trolley trundles to the curb.

The driver, Jeff, introduces himself

I make my way back to the open air section

Followed by stares, giggles and whispers


The trolley travels along Main Street

I revel in the olafactory delights

Flowers, trees, tires well traveled

Succulent meats from nearby restaurants


Jeff’s eyes move constantly to the rearview

Mirror as he tries to get a glimpse

Am I too small, too different?

Pedestrians stare. A few point my way.

I ignore them all, enjoying the view


Two young men sit directly in front of me.

One smells of sesame oil and fried fish

The other of perspiration and old aftershave.

The odor of stale beer floats over the back

Of the slated wooden seat.

They whisper and peek in my direction.


We arrive at Tlaquepaque and I disembark

The pretty young blonde follows me

Click, click. We make our way to the gallery.

Tourists stop and stare. Click, click, click.


I am welcomed to Mountain Trails Gallery

Lifesize animal sculptures stare back

I move among them, unafraid.

My friends smile and nod at me


The sun is slipping from the sky

It is time to return to Uptown

Bats flutters through the darkening skies

I watch, eyes darting after their blackness


In the twilight, I delight in the sights

I lean over the side to get a better view

More tourists point and stare, cameras snap

Hasn’t anyone ever seen a cat on a trolley?


Well, what do you expect? I’m a cat!

Next month, I have a very busy schedule and hope to catch all my good friends. On April 3rd, I will be stopping by Sedona Arts Center to welcome the new Executive Director. (Do you think he will be a little shocked?) Then I will also be off to Kinion Gallery to see my special friend Liam Herbert unveil three new sculptures and some new jewelry designs. Then it is off to one of my favorite galleries, Mountain Trails. There will be a fabulous show of Susan Klewier’s amazing sculptures.

I truly hope I am able to ride the trolley. Then I will really be able to take in all the wonderful sights and sounds of our lovely town.

Boy, am I glad we moved to Sedona.

So tell all your friends and look for me Friday, April 3rd doing my rounds rubbing ankles with some of the most talented artists in this country.

Your friend and purrfectly loveable feline,

Joshua Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment